[CUBE] Health bulletin: G5 disease

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 21:11:12 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:17  PM, John Breedlove wrote:

> Symptoms include:
>
> A willingness to part with my cube that I never expected would exist
> (particularly after joining this list)

Hmmm... I haven't succumbed to that one yet. I love my little Cube,
dearly.  :-) I have been day dreaming about the G5, though.  In fact,
I've got a gallon of slate gray paint, that was originally for
something else, and I was thinking of painting my office to match.  How
sad....  lol

> Perception cube is not "fast" anymore

Sort of... not so much because of the G5/970 chip itself but more to do
with all the other features like the 1Ghz FSB, 4x SuperDrive, etc...
Seems to me that with a Sonnet 1.2Ghz upgrade and a few other items
that a Cube has the potential of not being really that far behind the
recent Single PM G4 1.0 and the new G4 1.25Ghz machine they introduced
this week. So, I don't feel they're approaching obsolescence 'quite'
yet - at least no more so than most other Power Mac G4s.  :-)

otoh, ask me again this fall when I've actually had a chance to play
with a G5
"in the flesh", so to speak.

> Delusional financial scemes encroaching on daily thought processes

OH YEAH, Big Time...

> Right now I am taking advice for and against trying to trade-in
> somehow, and I guess purchase offers, too...

Hmmm, it'd have to be a really good offer for me to consider that one I
guess.  :-)

(G4 Cube 500, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, CDRW, GF2MX, 1 Year of AppleCare left)

> I have the crt studio display and don't want to part with it

Hmm, I have the 17" CRT Studio Display myself.  I wouldn't mind parting
with that for a 17" LCD, though.  :-)

> I am more and more, these days trying to work on large 3d files and it
> is during these times the G5 disease is most painful.
>
> Please advise.

Well, depends on how bad you've got G5 disease.  :-)  IMO, the entry
level 1.6 is not a good bargain, so I'd just pretend it doesn't exist
and then decide whether selling my Cube would bring me enough in to
help cover some of the costs of a 1.8 or Dual 2.0 to make it worth
selling it.

John