[CUBE] G5 upgrade

Lizardo H. C.M. Nunes lizardo at urbi.com.br
Thu Jun 26 16:05:57 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 04:24  PM, Bill Fox wrote:

> It is fake. That's Dan Knight's spoof (Anne Onymus) of rumor sites.
>
> On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 10:45  AM, Lizardo H.C.M.Nunes wrote:
>
>> It sounds totally fake:
>>
>> http://www.lowendmac.com/rumormill/03/0623.html

I know, it is nonsense. But I would like to hear from you about that:
it seems that not just Apple, but other assemblers have plans to use
the PowerPC 970. If so, there is a concrete possibility that we will
see Mac clones in a near future. Moreover, since there is a P3+Linux
Cube, a G5 Cube wouldn't be that impossible, as long as you are
disposed to replace the whole system (except for the hard drive and
optical drive). So, I would like to know if there are projects towards
this path ; )

Thanks,
Lizardo.

P.S.: Anyway, I would like to drive some attention over the fact that
Apple could indeed sell its own CPU upgrades. I don't believe in such
hypothesis, since Apple is concentrated on selling their brand new
machines. But in America you have credit and leasing is a real
alternative. However, here in Brazil, where a PowerMac costs more than
US$ 7.000,00 and a three years financing is unfeasible, this could be a
possibility. One of the main reasons of discontentment by Apple
consumers is the price, followed by the lack of alternatives regarding
upgrades. If Apple or any serious enterprise could sell a "Mac
motherboard+CPU" set, that would be hitting the jackpot for the
brazilian market.