[CUBE] Huge hard drive!

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Mon Mar 3 11:46:27 PST 2003

If all of your data will fit on the 20Gb (including your current OS ,
apps etc.) then it'll be easy (albeit a little time consuming).

1.	hie thee to bombich software and get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
2.	Format the 20Gb drive and use CCC to duplicate your current internal
drive to the 20Gb FW drive.
3.	Go to the startup disk option in your Preferences and select the
20Gb FW as your boot disk
4.	Reboot and *make sure* that everything was copied properly
5.	Shut down and swap out the internal with your shiny new honkin' HD
(I've got the 100Gb version - a little noisy but nice)
6.	Boot up again from the FW drive, use Disk Utility as necessary to
format and partition your new drive (there were a number of recent
threads on the topic you can check against - my preferences noted below)
7.	Use CCC to duplicate your 20Gb FW drive to the appropriate partition
on the internal and use the preferences to switch the startup disk over
to the internal
8.	Reboot.  You're done!

Now there's a slightly more hardware intensive process, but that saves
you a copy step:

1.	Take the 20Gb FW case apart.  Remove the drive and substitute your
new 120Gb drive
2.	Plug it into the Cube and use the Disk Utility as necessary to
format and partition your new drive
3.	Use CCC to duplicate the internal to the external (boot from and
verify the new drive)
4.	Take everything apart and swap the internal drive out with the new
drive and put the 20Gb back into its case
Done!

Cheers,

Erik

Personal Partition Preferences (PPP)
The first partition is my primary day to day boot partition - all the
remaining space not required by the other partitions

followed by (in no particular order)
2-3 Gb: OS 9 - even though I almost never use Classic or OS 9, the key
word is _almost_.  it's saved my bacon a couple of times and until
finally bought the upgrade to Norton, it was the only means I had for
drive optimization
5-10 Gb: OS X Emergency.  Just put a stable OS on there, with all of
your latest disk utilities and core software. If you destroy your boot
volume's system software you can always boot from this one and get your
core work done and try to repair the main volume.
5-10Gb: OS X Baseline.  My stable starting point for all new installs -
patch levels kept current.  Instead of having to go through a whole OS
X installation procedure, I just plug a new machine into this one as a
firewire disk, and dupe it over - process is trivial and includes all
of my standard software ready to go.

If you need it:
Keep a separate partition if you play with beta versions of the OS or a
lot of beta software.  It's useful to have a safe playground.

I've tried keeping an OS partition separate from my user home
directories and so on, but in the end I've found that I always end up
outgrowing one or the other and then wasting huge amounts of time
juggling disk space between systems to make it better.