Hard drive help please!

Meirion Roscoe roscoe at macunlimited.net
Wed Mar 5 13:28:58 PST 2003

OK. the story so far.

I bought my spangly Western digital 120Gb, 8MB cache hard drive.

Cloned my existing standard drive using CCCloner (Amazingly efficient
app) onto a slilmine portable firewire drive

Whipped out my old hard drive and installed the new one (fits as snug
as a bug) as per the PDF on the Apple website.

Problems:

Initially without the firewire drive connected, all I got was a small
folder symbol with an alternating smily face/question mark on start up

After booting from the firewire drive, everything runs perfectly, but
when I try and clone the firewire drive to my 120GB hard drive, it
doesn't show the internal drive as a target option.

I've looked in the Disk utility section and it recognizes it and says
it is set to master .

I remember a faff with the jumper settings so I have tried it with the
'CS setting it came with.  'Slave' and 'Master'.  At the moment it is
set in the top row between pins 2 and 3 from the left.   (Upper slave
and upper master, I think) as that is what the drive I took out had the
jumper set to.

Can anyone please help or think of a way of getting the beast to
recognize the new drive properly?

I'm off for a shower to mop my fevered brow.  Back in 30 mins

Thank you all

Rossi