[CUBE] powerlogix-europe.com

Peer Bentzen peer.bentzen at tin.it
Fri Mar 7 02:37:28 PST 2003

On 3/7/03 11:22 AM, "Erik Ableson" <eableson at mac.com> wrote:

> OK - newly arrived in France, this has been a problem dogging me as
> well.  There's a number of other items that I would love to pick up
> that I know are available quite cheap State-side... can anyone explain
> to me why USB hubs are ridiculously overpriced here?  What with the
> Euro being worth more than the USD these days the prices should be
> inverted.
>
> Fully realizing the tax implications with the VAT in the UK and the
> french equivalent there still shouldn't be the kind of price disparity
> we're all seeing here.
>
> How does the idea of setting up a European Cube-COOP for importing
> various bits and pieces of stuff sound to everyone? I have a number of
> friends left back in the US that would be able to handle the receipt
> and transhipment of stuff for us.  Especially if we can get registered
> as a distributor so we can get close to retail costs.
>
> Anyone interested? Heck I'm unemployed right now and could set
> something up pretty easily. More thoughts on this - how about I set up
> a site where we can request items and when we reach a critical mass on
> a given product I'll take care of ordering and shipping and stuff.
>
> Delaware incorporation will cost me about $400. If I'm up front about
> all of the costs that I incur in collecting and distributing stuff
> would that make people happy?  I'd probably need to use something like
> PayPal to get started since that's a nightmare getting an internet
> merchant account if you don't come to the able with lots of money and
> history.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Erik

Me for one I like the idea. Many years ago when I attended the university,
long before the internet and Amazon, we (students) arranged an import of
American books on the same principles, because the booksellers here in
Denmark too used an outrageous change rate, and it worked fine for many
years.

-Peer