refurbished cube (overstock.com)

Nathan Loofbourrow njl at spamcop.net
Sun Mar 9 08:01:53 PST 2003

G4 cubes are listed again at overstock.com -- at $1050 for a
450MHz/20GB/128MB/DVD it's a little high by ebay standards, but it
does come with a return policy.

I purchased mine about a month ago -- it came packed with insta-foam,
not in the original box. Two minor issues were the usual power gasket
problems (fixed with a square of electrical tape -- thanks to the
advice/pointers to FAQs from this list) and a space bar that didn't
work (replaced it at the apple store). It's been great ever since.

Adding the AirPort card was a piece of cake; changing out the video
card was tricky until I noticed that I could pop out that little board
at the end of the card that makes the 90 degree turn. See, that's what
I get for not reading directions.

Looks like the cheapest upgrade I can do is to throw $50 of RAM into
it to take it from 128MB to 384MB. Although that 20GB drive is looking
a little small...

Anyway, just wanted to send a thank-you to the list; I probably
wouldn't have risked buying a cube without knowing there was a
community out there to support it (the random shutdowns would
definitely have been a deal-breaker).

nathan