[CUBE] nostalgia buffs

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Mar 12 03:27:50 PST 2003

On 2003-03-11 20:26, "John Allan" <jallan at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> Here's a puzzle for Mac nostalgia buffs A friend of mine, for years has
>> happily been using a beige Mac G3, and OS 8.6. All her apps and data are
>> storedd on the internal 40 MB hard drive
>
> Sometime this happens simply because the System Folder is unblessed and needs
> to be blessed again but in this case something deeper has happened.

But that wouldn't explain the disk not even mounting when starting up from a
system CD.

> It *could* be a dead HD but if it is still spinning, there may still be hope.
>
> Disk Warrior [ DW ] would be most tech's first choice over Norton and if that
> cannot do it the only other option would be to use Data Rescue.
>
> The good news is that Data Rescue [ DR ]is available as a free demo download.

Great to see if it will recover anything, but to actually get your stuff
back, you need the full version. Well worth it, BTW. Data Rescue is almost
as good as having an actual backup, in my experience.

> I'd install a system, DW, DR and Norton onto a second HD; the nice thing
> about the Beige G3 that it could be either a SCSI or an IDE, internal or
> external.

The Beige G3's don't have an internal SCSI chain as standard, IIRC, but they
do have on-board SCSI. However, only as an external connector.

> Boot from it then get to work on the damaged HD in that order DW, DR and
> then if you are lucky Norton. Sometimes just passing DR over an HD brings it
> back the data back to life, if you get some, back it up quick.

DiskWarrior and Norton can both (attempt to) repair the drive itself, or at
least the data structures on it; Data Rescue will not even attempt that; all
it does is try to copy as much data from a hosed disk to another disk. In
other words; for Data Rescue to work, you need a second drive.

,xtG
.tsooJ
                                        <o))><
      \V/