benchmarks and more nostalgia

John Allan jallan at freeuk.com
Wed Mar 12 06:23:20 PST 2003

> Mine is a Dual 500, but I don't think that's the cause - as far as I
> know, the Cuda V runs slower then the IV. And the 7200.7 I got is one of
> the newest models, so perhaps it's of that...:)

Dual 500 is going to make a *lot* of difference over a stock 450!

As someone noted before, the V was slowed down in comparison to the IV for
usability in RAIDS but it is still at speeds beyond what we can use.

I'd be interested in seeing some like for like benchmarks, shame the
www.barefeats.com guy is off on a sabbatical.

John

> Great to see if it will recover anything, but to actually get your stuff
> back, you need the full version. Well worth it, BTW. Data Rescue is almost
> as good as having an actual backup, in my experience.

> Data Rescue will not even attempt that;

Right and wrong

> all it does is try to copy as much data from a hosed disk to another disk. In
> other words; for Data Rescue to work, you need a second drive

Wrong and right in that order

You can recover but only one file at a time with the demo and do need a
second drive or partition to do it properly if you want to save them which
can save the day in certain situations.

If it is just one file you need then it is a 60:40 risk at most to save it
to the same drive. In my experience. [ i.e. having done it, DR stills see
the same unrecovered files after you rewrite and retry ]

However, Data Rescue is good at what I said.

It seems to be able to " grab " a damaged HD where Norton and even DW has
not been able to even see it. Once you have " grabbed " it, then you can get
Drive Setup, DW or Norton onto it whereas before you could not.

To repeat, just passing it over somehow brings back data to enough life that
*then* DW or Norton can get a hold of it and sort it out further. Or the Mac
will even boot. This is not written into the documentation but from
experience has proven it to me. [ I work as a Mac tech ].

It is amazing the new owners Prosoft do not develop it further. They bought
it off the shelf developed from a loan hacker at wildbits.com

> The Beige G3's don't have an internal SCSI chain as standard, IIRC, but they
> do have on-board SCSI. However, only as an external connector.

Oh no they don¹t ... yes they dooo ... !

There is an internal 50 pin SCSI connector next to the two IDE ones. Good
for fitting SCSI ZIPs and CDRWs if you want better CD burning.

John

AMMG [ alpha male Mac Geek flexing his muscles sad to say ]