OT: trouble with beige G3 internal SCSI/HD, OS 8.6

John H. Lincoln jhlincoln at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 14:56:33 PST 2003

Well, thanks to all Listers who offered suggestions, I can tell some of
you know more than I.

Today's "repair session was not successful, as each of the following
failed to mount the recalcitrant HD:

a) Boot from CD, run Norton "Disk Doctor" (several prev. versions),
select "mount missing disk" – but not available;

b) Boot from CD, run Disk Warrior (several prev. versions), cannot
"see" the HD;

c) Boot from CD, run Drive set-up – can "find" the HD, and offers to
erase it (decline);

d) Boot from CD, , run FWB Hard Disk Toolkit –  can "find" the HD, and
offers to erase it (decline);

e) remove HD from computer, install in FireWire enclosure; connect to
G4 PowerBook; boot from G4 PowerBook under OS X (10.2.4) – but cannot
"find" the external HD, using Drive 10.

Hmmm… Sorry, I am unaware of "Data Rescue" app – their web site offers
a free download of an encryption utility… not what I'm looking for.

Next, we could replace the HD with a new one, then ship the HD off to
"Drive Savers", but I'm not sure the data is especially valuable.
Useful, yes, but $$$ valuable, no.

Still thinking.

Thanks to all.
John H. Lincoln