[CUBE] ADSL Modems for the Cube.

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 04:48:37 PST 2003

Anything that puts out an ethernet jack on the one side will work
perfectly.  Stay away from USB ones if you can - they need software on
your machine to fool the system into thinking that the USB port is a
network port - with varied quality.  If your DSL vendor says that they
don't support Macs, ask them if their service supports DHCP or PPPoE
for assigning IP addresses?  It will be one or the other and both are
supported out of the box - all you need are the authentication details.

Ethernet based ones work the best and give you the longest term
flexibility in terms of sharing your connection... They don't care that
you're using a Cube, a Mac, a Solaris box, whatever.  I've used
probably 6 different ones happily from nortel, alcatel, fujitsu,
linksys all with no problems.  I picked up a generic Alcatel one for
$50 on eBay a year ago to install over here in France where they were
asking $130-250 € for an adsl modem.  The tough part about doing that
is that you need to configure the DSL modem to work with your service
provider and that will take many many phone calls until you get someone
who knows what they're doing outside of installing their own
pre-configured DSL modems.  Look at the Verizon supplied Fujitsu ones -
no external dip-switches or means of configuration.

Erik