2 cents on Restarts, ADSL, samsung, and "Mac compatible"

Christopher Hack cjhack at onetel.net.uk
Fri Mar 14 05:56:37 PST 2003

many thanks for all the excellent and useful replies about restarting the
cube without trying to find that switch.

I now write in response to the question on ADSL modems. I had an Intel 3220
which came with my UK ADSL line (British Telecom). it worked fine on a PC,
and also on OSX, but would do nothing on OS9 - even after hours of technical
"support" from Intel including fiddling with preferences etc.
I went out and bought an ADSL router D-Link DSL-504. All my problems are
solved, it is very easy to operate, and I can now link all my other Macs and
PCs to the internet at the same time. Only drawback is pretty pathetic
support for Macs.
Despite the Mac logo on the outside of the box, with the big friendly words
"Mac compatible" there was no documentation in the box for a Mac (though a
whole book for a PC). The telephone helpline also suggested I contact Apple
because "the Mac support person is not in this week..."
so my advice would be to get an ADSL router with an Ethernet connection, and
avoid the USB modems. and make sure its 100% Mac friendly.
One final issue, while I am here is Samsung printers. I just bought a
Samsung ML-1210 for my cube. Again, the box promised "Mac compatible". truth
is the driver for OS9 is prehistoric. I can't print a "selection" of a page,
and it takes several seconds to send a page, blocking my screen with
irritating "sending page" dialogue boxes.
of course, the Samsung website is very helpful, until you seek advice on
MACS...

thanks all

Chris