[CUBE] I wanna 20" Cinema Display for my Cube

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Fri Mar 21 10:10:01 PST 2003

On 3/21/03 1:05 PM, moo at MichaltheMilkman.com added a note to the human
symphony, when this was said:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm lusting after Apple's new 20" display but it looks like I'll need a
> stronger video card than the Cube's stock card. Can anyone tell me if I
> can drive that 20" panel and which card I should be looking for? I hit
> the Cube Owner site but am still uncertain... I'm not shy when it comes
> to a little modification.
>
> Thanks, Michal

It's all here... Linked to right from the video card FAQ. May I ask what is
confusing to you? I'd be happy to clarify it if you have some suggestions.

**********

Misleading AppleCare Document: 58692 - Power Mac G4 Display Compatibility:
This AppleCare  Document [58692] states: " The Power Mac G4 Cube computer
must have a Nvidia Geforce 2MX graphics card to be compatible with
the Apple Cinema Display HD (23-inch) or Apple Cinema Display (20-inch) ."

Officially, that's true, since Apple only supports the Rage 128, ATI Radeon
and GeForce 2MX video cards for use in the Cube. However, it doesn't take
into account that Cube owners don't limit themselves to what's "official",
and many are running GeForce 3, Radeon 7500 and Radeon 9000 cards, all of
which DO support the HD and Cinema Displays.

Here's a  list of all current Apple Displays and the video cards/systems
they are compatible with (not all of which are Cube-compatible.. this is
just for general reference): Apple Display  System Requirements
<http://www.cubeowner.com/faqs/appledisplays.html>

Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)

€ Power Mac G4 with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX or GeForce4
TI graphics card, or ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro or 9700 Pro graphics card;
and Mac OS X v10.2 or later
€  Power Mac G4 with DVI port and Apple DVI to ADC adapter
€  PowerBook G4 with DVI port and Apple DVI to ADC adapter

Laurie
--
AOL IM/iChat: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com