[CUBE] help...

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sat Mar 22 04:24:30 PST 2003

On 2003-03-22 10:52, john guy wrote:

>> Try holding Option key when Entourage starts up.
>> You should have an option to revive your data.
>
> did that but it does not allow you specify which db file you want
> rebuilding...
>
> Anyone else can add to this?

Okay, here's what you want to do:

First, make a backup copy of your Microsoft User Data folder. I know it's
unusable as is, but if anything else goes wrong, you might be in even more
trouble.

Then, start Entourage, as suggested, with the Option key held down. There
will be a dialog, asking if you want to rebuild your Entourage data. Choose
a standard rebuild, first. If after that Entourage comes up with your email
and other data, fine. Throw away the backup copy you made, and make a new
one. Make a copy every week, after all, you indicated that some of the data
is business-critical...

If the standard rebuild doesn't work, once again start Entourage with Option
depressed. This time, choose to do an advanced rebuild. This is more likely
to solve problems, but it will also discard some data, such as categories
assigned to your data. If this works, again throw away the backup copy you
made, make a fresh backup copy, and take it upon yourself to make a copy
every week, after all, you indicated that some of the data is
business-critical...

If that doesn't work, either, it's time for drastic measures. Before you do
so, be sure that you definitely have made a backup copy of your Entourage
data. You have? Good. Now, open the file "Database", which is located in
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office X Identities/Main Identity, with a
text editor, like for instance BBEdit. Scroll through the file, and copy all
of the emails you can find, and deem important enough to save, from this
file. There'll be lots of crap in between the useful data, but if you really
want it back, this is the last resort at getting at it.

Good luck.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--