[CUBE] HD Upgrade

Agent M agentm at cmu.edu
Sun Mar 23 13:05:13 PST 2003

I pulled my 20GB WD and replaced it with the 120GB Barracuda V (8 MB
cache/ ST3120024A) two days ago and I'm really impressed. I backed up
what I needed to an iPod and snagged it later (i.e. Mail, Address Book,
other prefs and documents). I really did benefit from a fresh install
too. I wanted to cut down on the clutter I made too. That's why I
didn't take/ wouldn't recommend the Carbon Copy Cloner route. I noticed
general system responsiveness increase- but the faster drive may also
contribute to this. I'm really pleased with the new setup. By the way,
I found the best Barracuda V price at newegg.com with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/app/
viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=ST3120024A

($138)

There were only two things that caught me off-guard during the install-
maybe this will help someone-
1) switch the HD jumpers from cable-select to master
2) to remove the current HD, loosen the screws in the chunk of heatsink
attached to the hd just enough so that it slides out where the front of
the HD is (the back is where the plugs are). The heatsink should stay
in its place but it becomes wiggly. The directions from Apple didn't
make it immediately clear in which direction the HD slides out. It
slides out in the direction *away* from its plugs. (And don't forget to
pull the two plugs in the back- the power plug is murder on the
fingers!)

Just FYI, I'm an original Cube owner- it arrived Sep 1, 2000 and nearly
3 years later I've only felt the need for more hard drive space. My
cube was worth every penny.