Cube Fire

David Goetzka dgoetzka at mac.com
Wed Mar 26 05:16:37 PST 2003

Here's one for the list I don't think I've seen before.

First off let me say, my cube is the only computer I've owned that I
plan on keeping forever.I love that thing. I maxed out the ram, I
installed a 32 MB graphics card, I added a big hard drive, and for me,
the final piece to complete my cube was an Apple LCD Display.

Last week I bought a 17 inch refurb from Apple's web site. I couldn't
wait to try it when I got home from the office.

First thing I did was turn off my surge protector, unplug my old
monitor and then plugged in the beautiful new Apple display. Turned the
power strip back on and then the power on the Cube and then... nothing.

I then turned off the power strip, unplugged everything, re-plugged in
everything and still nothing. But this time I thought I heard a little
"pop' sound.

I then pulled the core from the case and set it on my desk. I hit the
power on the Cube and the fireworks started. The DC board starting
sparking and then flames about two or three inches high starting coming
from one of the chips. (It was the small chip next to the ones marked
"04" and "08".) After sitting there stunned for a few seconds, I turned
off the power strip and the flames went out. The burning smell stunk up
my whole house.

I called Apple and relayed my experience. Apple seems to take things
pretty seriously when you tell them your computer caught fire. They
gave me a case number. After a day I called back and was wondering
where things are at with my case. I was told to take it to a dealer and
that Apple would more than likely handle all costs.

The service technician at the dealer, who looked all of 15 years old,
tested the display on another Mac and it worked fine. He reported this
back to Apple and that pretty much closed my case. I was then told I'm
responsible for all costs. The service tech told me the next step is to
order a new dc board ($160 parts plus $120 labor) and go from there. I
failed to see the logic and pointed out to the tech that what happens
if the new board burns up also. He flatly stated I'd then be
responsible to replace it and then whatever other components that would
need to be replaced. He stated that was the method of testing directed
by Apple - keep replacing components until they stop burning up. Well I
guess this is simple enough to do when you're not footing the bill.
Anyway, I asked the tech to do a little more testing - like pull the
video card from the cube and test it in another machine - and then I
would feel more comfortable about ordering the dc board. The video card
passed his tests so the parts on en-route from Apple.

So after that long and most likely boring story, here's my question:
Have any other listers have had/heard of such a problem? Does anyone
know of any course of action against Apple to get them to pay for my
costs? This Cube has worked perfect since it was new. I used a number
of Displays with the Cube before this 17 inch LCD. I used a Apple 17
inch CRT ADC for a few months and most recently I was using a KDS Rad-5
15 inch LCD VGA with no problems. The 17 inch LCD Apple Display is
compatible with the Cube right?

And finally, under what circumstances is it acceptable that a computer
catches on fire?

Cubeless In Michigan,

David