[CUBE] Recommendations for hard disk

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Sun Mar 30 21:10:15 PST 2003

One great resource from looking for drives is
http://www.storagereview.com/ ... an even better one for a quick look,
except that it's starting to get a long in the tooth at 6 months old,
is this review article:

	http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1540/

It rates a number of drives by performance, noise, and heat.  Choose
accordingly, by what factors are most important to you - but make sure
that you pay attention to heat for your cube.  Then you can use those
as benchmarks to compare with any newer individual drives that might
interest you from the first link.

Personally, I chose the Seagate ST380021A  (aka 80 GB Baracuda IV) for
my cubes and the Western Digital drives for my "Wind Tunnel" Powermac
G4.

And while you're at it, I highly recommend getting an external firewire
drive - even a very slow one - for weekly backups.  I personally use 3,
one for scratch, one for "live" backup, and another for off-site
backup, but your own data backup needs might not be as rigorous.