[CUBE] itunes 4-Where to now?

akiang at att.net akiang at att.net
Thu May 1 08:57:13 PDT 2003

perhaps that might be true years down the line, but we're definitely not at the
point where downloading music can compete effectively with buying CDs from a
store.
- most people in the US still don't have broadband.  (i think i read in the NYT
that 40% of people in the US still don't use computers!)  on a dial-up, it
takes about 5-10 minutes to download a 5-minute song via the iTunes store and
that's really tedious even for 1 song.
- as it stands right now though, downloaded music (even from the iTunes store)
doesn't have the same quality as uncompressed music on a CD.  most people may
not hear a difference, but there are a number who do (or think they do).