[CUBE] itunes 4-Where to now?

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Thu May 1 09:12:30 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-01 17:57, akiang at att.net wrote:

>> On 2003-05-01 09:30, Sean Terrill wrote:
>>
>> But books != music. There are distinct reasons why, with books, some (most)
>> people prefer the old medium; you hold it in your hands to use it. With
>> music, the medium is irrelevant; as long as the music is coming from the
>> speakers, who cares what the medium is?
>
> perhaps that might be true years down the line, but we're definitely not at
> the point where downloading music can compete effectively with buying CDs from
> a store.
>
> - most people in the US still don't have broadband.  (i think i read in the
> NYT that 40% of people in the US still don't use computers!)  on a dial-up, it
> takes about 5-10 minutes to download a 5-minute song via the iTunes store and
> that's really tedious even for 1 song.
>
> - as it stands right now though, downloaded music (even from the iTunes store)
> doesn't have the same quality as uncompressed music on a CD.  most people may
> not hear a difference, but there are a number who do (or think they do).

I wasn't arguing those points. I merely pointed out that people like to read
from paper books, not screens. Whereas with music, the medium is closer to
irrelevant.

The post I replied to suggested that since e-books are not successful to
date, "e-music" wouldn't be, either. But it already is.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Nomen dominii habeo, ergo sum.