[CUBE] itunes 4-Where to now?

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Thu May 1 17:09:15 PDT 2003

Jesse wrote:
> 192k AAC is the sweet spot. 192k AAC is about equal to a 320k mp3.
> Anyone who "thinks" they can tell the difference between a 320k mp3 and
> a 192k AAC will probably also tell you they can feel the difference
> between CL3 and CL2 PC-100 RAM.

That's consistent with what I've read... Personally, 160 Kbps AAC/256
Kbps mp3 is good enough for portable use for me.

However, better than CD *is* possible.  Listening to DVD-audio and
SVCDs, it's very easy to tell which between them and CDs is better.

I'm looking forward to when they are more widespead and there are
well-accepted compression standards for them.  My entire music system
is built around being able to rip CDs, so converting to SVCD/DVD-Audio
just isn't an option right now.

[Joel, don't worry, we'll get off the topic soon]

	-- Todd