[CUBE] Lightning! Now "no dial tone" message

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Thu May 1 18:08:56 PDT 2003

On 5/1/03 7:22 PM, blossom at megsinet.net added a note to the human symphony,
when this was said:

> I'm sure some of you on this list know about telecom, so maybe someone can
> help.
>
> Big storm last night.  Lightning struck nearby, I think across the street, as
> my girlfriend and I were watching TV.  We saw a spark somewhere inside, but
> weren't sure where it came from, and all devices went off, then back on two
> seconds later.  All devices had power through surge suppressors, and all
> devices seem to work fine today, except now I have communication problems:
>
> * The Cube's modem won't detect a dial tone no matter what I do.

Lightning kills computer modems all the time. Surge protectors with phone
ports are your friend... Keep that in mind before it happens again :)

> * Tivo's modem can dial out, but it never hangs up, unless I disconnect it.
> When I reconnect it, it opens up the line again without making a call.

If it's running off a duplex jack or a splitter, try replacing the
jack/splitter. If still under warranty, TiVo will replace the modem. If not
under warranty, you can do it yourself for $25 - $100, depending on whether
you replace the internal modem or use an external solution.
http://www.9thtee.com/ and  http://tivo.weaknees.com/modem_fix.php are good
places to start if you are going to do it yourself.

Laurie
--
AOL IM/iChat: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com