[CUBE] Lightning! Now "no dial tone" message

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Fri May 2 17:51:29 PDT 2003

> * The Cube's modem won't detect a dial tone no matter what I do.
> * Tivo's modem can dial out, but it never hangs up, unless I
> disconnect it.  When I reconnect it, it opens up the line again
> without making a call.
>
> My DSL is working fine, and I can make and receive voice calls without
> a problem, and the line sounds clear.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how to troubleshoot this?

I lost a ton of modems in similar incidents.
Basically what happened is that a voltage surge coming through a
telephone line has fried a solid state relay in your odem used to bring
the line on-hook and of-hook. The only thing you can do is to locate
this part and replace it, but it will be tricky since I suspect it is
SMD element.