[CUBE] Noise level of 3 Hard Drives Compared - Maxtor rules!

John H. Lincoln jhlincoln at mac.com
Mon May 5 00:21:38 PDT 2003

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 01:51 AM, Tom Kuhn  wrote:

> My cube came with a 20 GB Maxtor. It was totally silent. Replaced it
> with a
> Seagate Barracuda and it has an annoyingly loud hum that I have
> begrudgingly
> accepted. If I tilt the cube back at 45 degree angle and lean it on
> the wall
> (to get it off the desk) then it the hum is mitigated. Next I for a
> backup
> drive, I bought an external Western Digital 120 GB which was quieter
> than
> the Seagate, but still somewhat noisy.  My newest acquisition is a 250
> GB
> MAXTOR which is also virtually silent. Amazing! End of story.

I wonder if you noticed the small clip on the "under" side of the
original Maxtor HD. It was screwed to the side of the HD and fit into a
notch inside the Cube -- effectively stabilizing the HD and eliminating
any vibrational noise.

When you removed the original HD, you may have overlooked this clip.
And if you did, this would explain the noise associated with the
replacement HDs.

John H. Lincoln
Digital Media Designer
Fornalutx, Mallorca, Spain