[CUBE] wake on Lan

Heath Raftery hraftery at myrealbox.com
Tue May 6 07:50:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 12:14  AM, Richard Clark wrote:

> does anyone know if there is a way to make the cube wake up from sleep
> if there is activity over the lan port 80? I am using my cube as a
> server but would like it to be able to sleep when no one is using it
> and wake up when there is a request. In the prefs somewhere i remember
> seeing something about letting the administrator wake from sleep which
> i checked. Any Ideas?
> Richard

(Assuming OS X)
That's System Preferences->Energy Saver->Options->Wake for network
administrator access. But... that option is actually equivalent to
'Wake on magic packet' (or womp for those who are into such things).
All that enables is, during sleep, the ethernet card is allowed to wake
the machine if it receives a 'magic packet' (which a pretty simple
packet containing hardware address information and stuff). A request
over port 80 is not a magic packet!

In order to serve such non-magic packet requests, you'd be better off
letting the machine sleep it's monitor and hard drive, but _not_ the
system. This is the way my computer has been set up for a couple of
years now, and I find it the best way to ensure maintainance and other
scripts are run, and all serving requests are met.

|   Heath Raftery                                   |
|   hraftery at myrealbox.com                          |
|   *Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit* |