HD Upgrade size limits for the Cube.

RICARDO ricardo at carrasconexion.net
Wed May 7 19:38:39 PDT 2003

I put this question to the Western Digital folks:
"Are the WD models > 137 GB in size pose any size reporting problems?
According to the Apple support database, larger than 137GB HDs are suitable
for MACs provided I'm running OS Mac OS X 10.2 or later (I'm running OS X
10.2.6) AND "The computer must provide support for the drives via the
BootROM". My BootROM is version 3.2f1, but I cannot tell whether that
version supports the CAVIAR Special Edition drives for >137 GB drives"

I got the following response:
"Our drives will work in your Mac G4 Cube provided that the drive you
install is less than 137GB. If you are going to install a drive larger than
137GB, you will need to contact Apple and ask what are the provisions to
allow your system to recognize the full capacity of the larger than 137GB
drive."

Are there any fellow-Cuber owners out there that know what "provisions
[will] allow [my] system to recognize the full capacity of the larger than
137GB drive"? Or, is the 137 GB ceiling going to be the maximum size upgrade
possible for my Cube?

Appreciate any feedback.

RICARDO.