[CUBE] Printer thankyous

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Mon May 19 01:47:51 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 08:26  AM, Christopher Hack wrote:

> it is interesting to note, however, that nobody really seemed
> convinced of a solid and affordable b&w laser which works out
> of the box with OSX and OS9. Rather sad news for us all if this
> is the beginning of a trend...
>
> Thanks again
>
> chris

Not sure what your definition of affordable is, but Samsung's low end
laser printers are under $200, have received excellent reviews, and are
supported on Mac OS X by both Samsung and Gimp-print. Brother also has
native OS X support and has been praised numerous times on various
Macintosh Guy lists.

I'm quite happy with my Samsung ML-1210. (Now discontinued, but
purchased last year for $100 during a Fry's one day sale - normally
$150 if I remember correctly.) I just purchased a discontinued Samsung
ML-1430 for $100 after rebate and one day Fry's sale for a friend. It's
going for ~$170, including shipping, at several places on the net. The
$50 rebate is only good at Fry's Electronics, American TV, Datavision,
J&R, and MicoCenter.

Brother's HL-1440 is going for $167 (refurb'd) to $194 (new) including
shipping.

Phil