[CUBE] Cube rumors

Michael McPherson mcph at mac.com
Mon May 19 06:48:48 PDT 2003

I think this rumor makes a lot of sense.  I believe it.  What was the
total production run of the original cube?  50,000 units?    I'd guess
(and it's just a guess) that the Cube SE or whatever they call it would
probably have a production run of 25,000  (to celebrate the 25th year).
  We can look at the twentieth anniversary Mac for clues.   It  had very
state of the art features (lcd screen, special bose audio system,
unusual form factor, etc...).  The TAM also was limited to only 12,000
production units. And it cost over $7000  (back when computers were
commonly costing $2500-ish)

I'd look for something more than just a nice mac squeezed down into the
cube form factor.  Look at those PC-Cubes (I think made by
shuttle)...people turn them into very nice home theater systems.  That
might be a direction apple takes this....or,  I wouldn't be surprised
if apple takes it in an entirely unexpected direction.

I'd expect it to cost somewhere around $4000.  Then you'd want to add a
cinema display to it.  It wont be for the rank and file users.  It'll
be a premium product at a premium price (that's just how apple does
things).