[CUBE] 1gig G3 in Cube?

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Fri May 23 19:00:27 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 07:15  PM, mentholiptus wrote:

> On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 07:05  PM, Robert Jagitsch wrote:
>
>> We have just completed a test of an IBM 750FX PowerPC CPU in a Cube.
>> The 750FX is a very low power device which means there are no fans or
>> beefy DC/DC boards needed. And it's fast...take a look at the
>> benchmarks comparing the 750FX at 900MHz to a 500MHz G4 (these done
>> in a 100Mhz bus PowerBook Pismo.)
>>
>> http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/performance/pismo.html
>>
>> The clock speed of the 750FX more than makes up for the lack of
>> Altivec, see the iTunes rip comparison.
>>
>> Any interest in this?
>

> What will it cost compared to a 1GHz G4?
>
> How does it stack up against a 1GHz G4?

Actually, how does it stack up against the 800MHz G4 as far as speed
and price go? Fanlessness would be wonderful, but I wonder if the
price/performance gap would be wide enough to make it worth while. Even
at 7v, I've come to appreciate the fact that this fan keeps all the
components (video card, HD, processor heatsink) cool to the touch...and
I can barely hear it.

Would a 1GHz G3 allow a cube user with an internal Superdrive to still
use iDVD? Or does the system look for altivec?

I like the idea of a clean, powerful, cool chip as the heart of the
cube though. :)

jesse

.