[CUBE] iTunes Speed/Performance Feedback

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Mon May 26 14:17:33 PDT 2003

Yes I know what you mean Richard. I guess the quad 970 is needed
yesterday after all. ; ^ )

But then again maybe multiprocessors are not an appropriate solution to
audio compression.

To wit from the Digital Audio Workstation list:

Kunga, not all computational processes are amenable to parallel
implementations.  I would expect compression to be about as bad as that
could
get because what you do next depends on everything you've done prior,
the worst
possible scenario for parallelizing a process.

It's more a situation of invention than one of repair (as in "fix it")
and would
depend a lot on the codec.  One would hope that AAC, being a newer
codec design,
would have been had parallel impelementation in mind but I've not read
that
anywhere.

Bob