[CUBE] Cube Enclosure

david sarcastix david at sarcastix.com
Fri Nov 7 11:32:30 PST 2003

>> I'll keep my original CUBE virgin, classic, 1.0, untouched.
>
> So... Mac OS 9.0.4, 20 GB hard drive, 128 MB of RAM...?

Funny! No, I'm running Jaguar.  Still have a 20mb drive (I've got firewire
drives hanging off the CUBE, but I plan to upgrade the drive soon).  320mb
memory (I've bought extra ram, just haven't installed it, I became
temporarily handicapped and my hands don't work very well)

> That's a silly strategy IMHO. It's value as a collector's item is
> essentially nil and has been since you opened the box. Why not get as much
> mileage out of it as possible? Just curious.

Well, there are 2 Macs in my life that I've become emotionally involved with
(I have about 15 Macs in my house).

The first was the 128k Mac I bought in 1984.  It's a MacPlus now, with a
hard drive, still runs System 6. I'm looking at it right now across my room.

It's running, and it appears almost ... grateful, that it's still alive.

The other Mac I LOVE is my CUBE.  I think that it's a monument to .....wait
a minute, when was it introduced?

EveryMac.com says July 19, 2000.  Well, officially, the 21st Century started
in 2001.

It's a monument to 20th century art and technology. So, you see, I can't
really CHANGE it.  We are passing THROUGH history, the CUBE -IS- history!

I love the darn thing.  I paid as much or more than an equivalent Sawtooth
would cost (I have one of those too).  And the Sawtooth  is much more
practical, for the work I do.

It's beautiful (the CUBE), and I can't bring myself to change it.
Cosmetically that is.  I will soon be putting in more RAM, a bigger drive,
and a G4 upgrade.  Probably an 800mhz.  It doesn't have to be terribly fast
for my use.

For the POWERLOGIX enclosure I'm hoping I can buy the guts to a CUBE, and
then put in a crankin' processor upgrade, video card, and maximum RAM, and
drive.

Why? For the fun of it.  But I must keep one CUBE cosmetically pure.

My new love is the G5.  Sooner or later I'll get one, and retire some of my
older G4's that I use for work.

David Sarcastix