Cheap Pcs vs Apple lol

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 14 08:18:48 PST 2003

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 08:05 AM, Cube List wrote:

> Snow White wrote:
>
>> No one out there wants to compete with a $400 piece of crap
>> constructed
>> in some dealers basement with dubious warrantees and no Ram
>> whatsoever.
>> Hell, even Gateway is advertising plasma tvs instead of computers now.
>
> Hmm, I built my own for 400$ and I can assure you it's not a piece o'
> crap, but if you're a mac zealot, I guess I'm waisting electrons;)

Consumer ready fodder that cost $400 is crap.  You built your own - I
am sure it is not crap - congrats.

>> A Mac at $799 is about as low as it needs to be.  There is reason (no
>> benefit) to compete for clients that will not spend anything more than
>> the barest, lowest amount neccesary - they are not loyal to anything
>> but
>> their wallet.
>
> When one has kids, a mortgage to pay, utilities..etc, one becomes loyal
> to their wallet, trust me.
> And people look at performance. The eMac is older technology, dog slow
> FSB, very little RAM and a CRT, when most people prefer an LCD.

I would not buy an emac.  I certainly understand the economics as mine
are simular, so I bought a Refurb Dual 1.25 G4 about a month ago for
$1299 from Apple (but I still use the Cube).  A great deal caused by
the release of the G5.

>   It would be a shame to degrade a Mac to meet this cheap a
>> demand and it would certainly harm the rest of the lines pricing.
>> Apple
>> does not sell junk - and that is one of the reasons they are succesful
>> and we continue to buy at a premium (but is it a premium or is the IBM
>> clone market just overly underpriced?).
>
> Most of the components found in Macs are the same as in PC's. Granted,
> Macs have better power supplies, but essentially, the same parts are to
> be found on both platforms.

Its not the size of the ---- its how you use it.  Apple supplies alot
of add-on benifit like ical, itunes, iphoto, networking ease, OS thats
based on Unix, etc. etc ....     No need to sluff this off cheap.

IBM clone makers supply nothing but the machine parts as you mentioned.
  I do not need to be an
Apple-o-phite to appreciate decent value over a pile of electronic bits
stuck together with an ancient OS to run it.

jj