[CUBE] The Return of the CUBE???

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Fri Nov 14 20:50:21 PST 2003

Benjamin wrote:
>  Now, if I could just figure out how to offload video on the
> TiVo to a VCD, or how to easily my eyeTV play directly to the TV ...

It depends which kind you have - I've done it with a Series 1 and it is
pretty easy, you just have to install a network card and put a new
kernel directly onto the IDE disk.  Info can be found all over the web
on it.  www.9thtee.com isn't a bad place to start looking and they have
various hardware kits to help you along.

Series 2 units are a bit more of a problem because the kernel's
checksum is burned to a PROM in the TiVo, but it can still be done
(usually by using the ability of a Linux kernel to bootstrap another
kernel, through a method called Monte).  I haven't done this yet, but I
plan to do so soon.  Details on how to do this are also all over the
web, and gathered coherently together in the book _Hacking the TiVo_,
by William Von Hagen (the Series 1 stuff is in there too).

> Unfortunately, since TiVo looks to be moving more towards licensing and
> away from building hardware, it really isn't much of an answer for
> Apple..

???

I don't see how this is a problem.  Half of the TiVos I've bought are
made by TiVo, but half of them are made by Phillips.  My favorite TiVo,
the DVD burning unit, is made by Phillips and does all of the stuff
that a TiVo-made TiVo will do.  I don't see any reason Apple can't or
won't carry other TiVo units in their stores.

But anyway, I just wanted to pass along what a cool combo the TiVo and
the Mac, especially the near-silent cube,  are.

	-- Todd