[CUBE] Syncing Cube to PocketPC

Rick Rodman richard.rodman at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 15:45:05 PST 2003

I'm using PocketMac 3.1 on a Cube (1GHz, 1GB, 40GB HD, Panther) with an
Audiovox Thera (PocketPC 2002) PDA phone.  It's very slow; ActiveSync
under Windows takes maybe 30 seconds, PocketMac takes 7+ minutes.
PocketMac is very thorough and seems to work fairly well.  File syncing
is the slowest part, sometimes it locks up and you have to start it
over.  BTW I am using Entourage as the PIM; I have over 200 tasks in a
number of categories, about 300 contacts, and about 70 files in my
documents folder.  If you don't have as many tasks, contacts or files,
syncing will be faster.

PocketMac does not convert Pocket Word documents to Word format.
However, it does give you an application to edit them.  I haven't tried
Pocket Excel.

If you're mainly doing addresses, and you're not using the task list
feature, iCal and Address Book may be OK for you.  I haven't tried
syncing with them, as I tried that with the T68i (and the Newton) and
iCal was just too crude for my purposes.

I guess in summary, PocketMac isn't as mature as ActiveSync, but it
does the job well enough.  I didn't get Missing Sync because it doesn't
sync to Entourage.  I'm not crazy about paying for downloads with no
manual or disk, but that seems to be the modern trend.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.