[CUBE] wondering about GigaDesigns CPU card...

Sean Terrill a10t2 at mac.com
Tue Nov 25 09:27:41 PST 2003

Quoth Christian Leue (c.leue at mac.com) at 11/25/03 3:08:

> GigaDesigns states that you can run the card at 1.2 GHz in a stock
> Cube, or 1.0 GHz if you have upgraded the graphics card and/or hard
> disk.
>
> My card is on order, and while I am waiting for it, I started wondering
> about the following:  In day-to-day operations (Safari, Mail, iPhoto,
> iTunes), would there be a better perceived speed increase by running
> the CPU at 1.2 GHz and keeping the stock Rage128 card (I am currently
> quite satisfied with the performance of this card on my 17" Studio
> Display), or should I slow down to 1.0 GHz and install a (fan-less)
> QuartzExtrem-compatible video card?

I would upgrade the graphics card first. Quite honestly, I'm not sure that a
1 or 1.2 GHz processor will feel much faster than a 450 or 500 MHz one for
that kind of use. With Quartz and now Quartz Extreme, the graphics card has
much more to do with the perceived speed.

Sean Terrill
a10t2 at mac.com
http://a10t2.cjb.net
All politicians are crooks, but Democrats are our crooks.