Mac OS X Blue Screen of Death

John Allan jallan at freeuk.com
Mon Oct 13 09:44:02 PDT 2003

On 13/10/03 1:07 pm, "Cube List" <Cube at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> Last weekend I upgraded to 10.2.8.2, then I had to rebuild my Cube
> after it wouldn't start up -- it got stuck on the blue screen and
> didn't give a login prompt.  Nothing on Apple's OS X Boot
> Troubleshooting page did the trick, so a complete rebuild was in order.

Never had this on a client but on OS X Server I have and fixed it by booting
into Single User mode (Cmd-S) and typing the commands below, be warned, it
opens up every file to all users and obviously this is a security problem.

/bin/fsck -y; /bin/mount -vw /; chmod a+rwx /;

It can happen when you set the sharing access for Everyone to 'None'.
Probably else how as well.

It is a wonder, given the Window's predilection, you would have thought
Apple would have chosen any other colour for death *except* Blue ... Nice
mid-grey would have been much more suitable.

John