[CUBE] Cube perch letter from Jack Campell

Don Linares don.linares at verizon.net
Sun Oct 19 16:31:46 PDT 2003

From: Jack Campbell <jack at macmice.com>
Date: Sun Oct 19, 2003  7:18:33  PM America/New_York
To: Don Linares <don.linares at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CUBE] Cube perch

Hi Don,

I thought of this a year ago, and have attempted prototypes on two
occasions. The issue is simply that there's no way to low-volume
fabricate the part, as described. We cannot injection mold the piece,
as doing so would require something around US$40,000 in tooling costs.
We can't bend it to shape, as doing so causes bubbles and other defects
to appear (unavoidable) in the corners. And, even if we could somehow
overcome the heat-caused defects in the corners, we would than have to
glue on the top... which creates another set of ugliness problems.

In other words, to make this thing acceptably pretty, we have to mass
produce it. But, there's not a market for anything like the several
thousand pieces we would have to sell to make it a reasonable business
risk. I am, for instance, only now down to my last 10 of the 150 piece
run we did of the DVCube stand. I think the "slice of bread" stand
would perhaps sell 300 to 600 pieces, total.

We're stuck with items for the Cube that can be economically built
using small shop/hand methods... or, no Cube products at all.

Sad, but true... as I would truly like to own a couple of the stands we
are discussing, myself.

Thank you so much for your awareness of MacMice and your love for the
Cube.

Take care.

Jack Campbell, President
MacMice Workspace Products Co.