[CUBE] Recommend a hard disk

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Oct 23 10:28:19 PDT 2003

Recently put 160 GB Maxtor Ultras in both my Cubes to make use of the
full 128 GB that OS X can see on this old ATA/66 bus. Since each only
cost $100 it was well worth a few dollars over the $88 120. Of course
it has an 8 MB buffer and runs at 7200 RPM. The Ultra Quiet Fluid
Dynamic Bearing Motor is outstanding at maintaining dead silence.

Bonus is that Panther automatically hides the "dead" 25 GB partition
above 128. So you can't even accidentally try to put something there. I
use a 4 partition setup.

1. 20.26 for os x
2. 12 for os 9
3. 20.26 for downloads
4. 75.37 for scratch and all else

Total 128 available HD space. I consider HD space on my Cubes to be too
precious to forget about 16 GB of space above the net 112 GB of a 120
GB HD inside. The price of 160 Maxtor Ultras is just too low to not
want the inside drives maxed out. I'm thinking long term and I know it
is very easy to underestimate how much HD space you will need long
term.

kunga10 (AIM)
kungax (AIM)