[CUBE] My huge problems in upgrading to Panther

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at mac.com
Fri Oct 31 23:07:09 PST 2003

Entity K Peex1 spoke thus:

> Would you elaborate on this "quick trip to NetInfo" or perhaps point me
> to a link in the right direction for keeping Users separate? Your
> strategy has been my goal.

Here's what you do:

1) Copy your userfolder to wherever you want.

2) Open NetInfo Manager and click the lock and authenticate.

3) In the "Security" menu select " Enable root user".

4) Close and log out.

5) Log in as user " root" with your password.

6 Open NetInfo and authenticate.

7) Select item "users" and then your own username and then "home".

8) Doubleclick the pathname and change it to
"/Volumes/PartitionName/Username" or in my case the partition is my
userfolder so it is "Volumes/Rachel".

9) While you're in there you can set your username to a capital letter.

10) Click elsewhere and save the NetInfo database.

11) Log out and relog in to your new userfolder.

12) CRITICAL-If you don't do this you may be sorry. Open Accounts Prefpanel
and ensure you are Administrative User. Lock the panel after you are
finished just to be sure.

13) Open NetInfo and disable root user.

14) Delete your original userfolder.

That's it! 14 easy steps. Aint UNIX great?

--Gnarlie