[CUBE] My New Hard Drive

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Tue Sep 23 21:32:06 PDT 2003

I have the optical IDE cable dangling outside mine with both drives set
to "Cable Select". Just put two 160 Maxtor Ultras ($100 each) inside
both My Cubes. Four Partitions up to the 128 GB Max then named the
fifth partition above 128 GB zNever. Running Panther 7B74 on the 500
Jag on the 450. Interesting thing is that while the Jaguar still shows
the forbidden partition, Panther automatically does not mount it so
there will never be an issue of accidentally trying to put anything in
it and blowing up the drive.

The other thing i would like to point out is the reason for using the
Maxtor Ultra with 8MB buffer. It uses a Ultra Quiet FDB Motor that is
amazingly silent. I can't recommend enough how quiet this drive is.
It's as if this drive was made for the Cube. I was using Western
Digital SE drives up 'til now. They have a distinctive metal on metal
high frequency grinding sound to them. These Maxtor Fluid Drive
Bearings never sound like that. They only have a very subtle white
noise sound that is way more quiet.

JwD seems to be short on details. You boot from the OS X Jaguar install
CD 1 by holding down the "C" key. Then you switch to the Disk Utility
where you partition the drive to suit your fancy.

Same procedure with OS 9 Drive Setup from the utility folder on the CD.

I suspect JwD has no experience setting up a new HD. The dealer is also
at fault for telling him he had a defective drive which is highly
unlikely and indicates they know nothing about Cubes.

If we knew his new drive's brand and model number, we could tell him
how to set his jumpers and get him up in a few minutes.

kunga10 (AIM)
kungax (AIM)