[CUBE] FCP & upgrades

Tom Hostler hostler at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 00:50:37 PDT 2003

I've had the card in for about 6 months now - prior that it was just a stock
machine. Application response is very much better, and you can use iMovie &
iDVD much more realistically than I could with the 450. I've ran FCP 4 but
haven't had chance to really put it to the test yet.

Sleep behaves fine - I made sure I got one of the Rev B cards from Sonic.

I bought through OWC using cubeowner.com discounts. It was shipped to me in
the UK, so I guess pricing is a little slewed by extra VAT and carriage -
but it was way cheaper than any UK quote I had - by $300 or so.

The fan noise was a shock when first installed - simply because I was used
to silence previously. It quickly became barely noticable - especially once
I  isolated the case from the desk with some additional clear rubber feet.

I recently put in a GF3 card, which also has a fan - and now the pair of
them are noticeable - even with music playing at modest volume. Overall
though I wouldn't say it really bugs me - it's the price you pay for the
snappier performance. I'm sure moving the cube off the desk would isolate it
further.

*The only problem I've had with the Sonnet is booting cold into 9 - which it
stopped doing once installed. Runs classic fine in Jaguar, but the same
System folder won't boot on it's own. It won't boot from a 9 CD either,

I'm all X now, so it doesn't massively worry me - and in conversations with
Sonnet they seem to think it's a USB/ Software clash somewhere in the 9 OS.
To be honest I haven't had time to investigate this any further as ti runs
Jaguar & classic perfectly, and that's all I need. One day I'll get around
to solving it I'm sure.

That's the only point - otherwise I give it a total green light.

Tom

1.25 Sonnet Rev B
768Mb RAM
80Gb Baracude iV