[CUBE] OS X.3

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 08:51:37 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 01:00  AM, Kunga wrote:

> I'm running 7B74 Panther on my 500 MHz Cube and it rocks. Very fast.
> Very stable. Like release solid. Way snappy. Exposé is amazing.
> LiteSwitch X incorporation into the new finder is especially welcome.
> the new finder is much easier to understand and networking multiple
> mac drives is easier than ever to mount super fast.

I think 7B74 is pretty good but it's not quite "there" yet.  The
Network browser in the Finder is still too slow when it comes to
connecting and disconnecting from other systems. It also doesn't
properly use the Keychain to store and retrieve passwords, among other
things.

On an entirely personal level, I have to say that I still dislike the
new Finder's Sidebar and the modification to it's browsing methodology.
Column View has got at least one fairly nasty limitation in this new
Finder. If you open a new window, viewing a folder that might be six
layers deep, the Finder will display as if this Folder is the root of
the drive... you can't simply scroll higher into the directory tree
like you could under previous versions. I, frankly, see no benefit to
this at all.

What they did to Disk Copy is a bit of a shame, too, imo.

John T. Folden
http://homepage.mac.com/jtfolden/