CPU upgrade boots first time, but then not ...

Christian Leue c.leue at mac.com
Fri Apr 9 09:53:47 PDT 2004

 > I've installed a Gigadesigns Cube upgrade CPU which I obtained from
OWC recently.
 > Installation went fine - booted first time post upgrade. I powered up
for the 1st time
 > with the new CPU and the system boots fine and runs fine. If I tell
the system to
 > restart (pretty much straight away - before any heat issues could
occur) the
 > system does not boot (no chime, no self test). If I power-off and
press the
 > motherboard reset button, then power up and boot, the system boots ok.
 > But only that one time.

Hello, Alan!

Sorry I can't offer a solution to your problem, but I can see very
similar behavior on my Cube with the Gigadesigns upgrade: it restarts
fine, but once I power it off, it no longer boots. I can hear the hard
disk spin up, but no startup chime. My solution (besides not
intentionally powering off, of course) is to pull the core and press
the CUDA switch. Then it boots fine again, but only once...

I have tried all the usual suspects: replacing battery, powering on
with the programmer's switch pressed, zapping the PRAM and resetting
OpenFirmware. no luck.

Have you had any improvement since you posted your message?

Cheers,
Christian