[CUBE] WEB Hosting through an Airport Extreme

Bumala, Robert W robert.w.bumala at lmco.com
Wed Apr 21 10:06:03 PDT 2004

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Cube List [mailto:Cube at lists.themacintoshguy.com]  On Behalf Of atoa at krak.net
Sent:	Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:52 AM
To:	Cube List
Subject:	Re: [CUBE] WEB Hosting through an Airport Extreme

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Bumala, Robert W wrote:

> Luis,
>   In a nutshell, my problem is:
> 1. The WEB site works perfectly stand alone (i.e. http//10.0.2.201/)

But only from within the LAN, right? How Luis is able to use a
non-routable IP from outside the LAN is a mystery to me.

Yes, only from within the Airport local LAN.

> 2. The WEB site works perfectly with just the computer connected to the net (http//www.bumala.com (or http//207.213.217.244))
> 3. With the airport connected to the net and set to map port 80 through to 10.0.1.210 port 80, the web site times out.

I hope that's a typo. Do you really mean 10.0.2.210? If so, that's your
problem.

Typo???  No all of the nodes within the Airport LAN are 10.0.1.xxx.  I can't even assign anything that's not a member of that subnet.

I host a site via an airport, though not an extreme. My DSL "modem" is set
to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.x, the internal IP of the cube, not the
airport's IP. Have you tried that? Presumably, when you connect the iBook
directly, your "modem" is set to the IP address of the iBook, right?

How did you set your DSL modem up to do that?  The one I have, I got from my ISP, and it has no internal settings.  It just bridges from the incoming phone line to the Ethernet.  I have one static IP address for this modem / setup 207.213.217.244.  I set up the Ibook such that it's built in Ethernet is set to that IP, and when I plug the Ethernet directly into the ibook, the ibook hosts a web page just fine.  I can read it at www.bumala.com.  When I plug the Ethernet into the airport, and try to host the page through the airport via it's internal LAN at 10.0.1.201, it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Bob.

> According to all I have read on the subject, this should be all I need to do, but it doesn't work.
> Thanks,
> Bob.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Robert W. Bumala
> Circuit Design Engineer Staff
> Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center
>
> Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
> ADCS  Bld. 255
> 3251 Hanover Street
> Palo Alto, CA 94304-1191
>
> Phone: (650) 354-5918
> Fax:      (650) 424-3333

$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com

 T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!
Dr. Bott|   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/T3Hub.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    | http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

ADC Extension | Extend the built in cable of your flat panel by 10 ft.
  Dr. Bott    |    <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>