[CUBE] [CUBE]

atoa at krak.net atoa at krak.net
Thu Aug 5 16:07:53 PDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, TonVanHest wrote:

> Op 6-aug-04 om 0:15 heeft atoa at krak.net het volgende geschreven:
>
>> The Apple USB (Universal Serial Bus) Speakers included with the Power Mac
>> G4 Cube computer require more power to operate than is provided by a
>> typical USB port.
>>
>> You say that is untrue. That's another word for lie.
>
> My speakers work when plugged into a Cube, they work when plugged in a
> (powered) hub, they even work when plugged into a PC.

And I never said they wouldn't.
But others have had "varying mileage".

> You go and figure out and decide how you call it. I am practical!

Agreed. But misrepresenting the Apple article isn't helpful.

> (BTW and FYI, the power a USB port is supposed to provide is defined and not
> at the manufacturers discretion)

And I presume that Apple's ports _do_ provide what is defined. This thread
has been about not the port, but the very specific Cube speakers. Perhaps
the fact (according to Apple) that they require more power than the
standard was the reason for the article?

If Apple were out there flogging Cube speakers, and claiming that they
would work with standard USB ports (or hubs), I'd complain. But they
ain't.

But thanks for validating my usage of the phrase "stubborn as a Dutchman".