[CUBE]

Steffen Barabasch sb-cubelist at eggandspam.de
Sat Aug 7 06:51:48 PDT 2004

>2) Looking at Table 7-7 of the Universal Serial Bus Specification
>Revision 2 reveals that Minimum High Power Port (out) is in fact 500 mA.
>There is no maximum stated. What am I missing?

This section in the original USB specs:

>The power source and sink requirements of different device classes
>can be simplified with the introduction of the concept of a unit
>load.  A unit load is defined to be 100mA.  The number of unit loads
>a device can draw is an absolute maximum, not an average over time.
>A device may be either low-power at one unit load or high-power,
>consuming up to five unit loads.  All devices default to low-power.
>The transition to high-power is under software control.  It is the
>responsibility of software to ensure adequate power is available
>before allowing devices to consume high-power.

;-)

The "minimum" stated is probably the minimum power that ports and
powered hubs should be able to supply, not the minimum devices could
draw, since that would mean that I could draw 10A, and that's
certainly not what they meant.

BTW, any powered hubs that can't drive the Cube speakers are probably
out of specs themselves and simply might have problems with the power
draw of the amp (even if it's not in "booster mode" as on the Cube
ports).

Steffen