[CUBE] Fill my house with good music...

TonVanHest a.vanhest at chello.nl
Sat Aug 7 12:32:45 PDT 2004

Op 7-aug-04 om 20:31 heeft Mark Plunkett het volgende geschreven:
> O.K. so I need Airport express...
> Plus and Airport Card for my cube.
> Plus an Airport card for my iBook 500G3
> Plus an airport card for my kids iMacDV 400G3 (runs OS9 though). How
> do I max the RAM on this girl?
> Sounds Great. What model Airport Cards do I need?

There are 2 types of Airport cards. 11b standard max speed 11 bps and
11g maxspeed 54 bps. Which one you need depends on the exact model/year
of the Mac, the cards are different and physically not interchangable.
The standards though _are_ interchangeble meaning an 11b device can
"talk" to an 11g device.

I would assure myself (preferable even a life test!) that 11b has
enough bandwidth for streaming music because 11 is the official
transmissionspeed however caused by facts such as control characters
and not really full duplex in praxis the max. speeds that can be
reached will be somewhere around 8 (or even only 6)!

Another problems is that in a mixed (11g and 11b) network the total
speed of all connected devices is set to the speeds of the lowest
device that _is_ connected. That would, in your case, mean that 11bps
is the max. attainable. However there are a few routers around that are
capable of handling each device seperate at its own maximum. But I
doubt the Express is one of those happy few.

This is typically a case where one should buy his stuff at a shop with
a generous return& refund policy.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Ton van Hest