[CUBE] Fill my house with good music...

atoa at krak.net atoa at krak.net
Sun Aug 8 11:13:16 PDT 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Chris Weiss wrote:

> atoa at krak.net wrote:

>>> Actually, all you really _need_ to listen to music anywhere is the
>>> wireless card in whatever machine you want to control iTunes with and
>>> the Airport Express near the stereo you want to pipe the music to.
>>> That said, an iBook without wifi is rather like a Sundae without
>>> chocolate - you're missing the best part of a laptop!
>>

>> You don't even need that. You do need _some_ wireless transmitter
>> connected to the computer that you are streaming from, but it doesn't need
>> to be internal. You'll get better throughput with a third-party 11g unit,
>> and probably better range, as well. And for less money, if you shop
>> wisely.
>>
> Two caveats there:
> With the Cube, you're pretty much stuck. All of the 802.11g USB adapters I've
> seen require USB 2.0. The Cube only has USB 1.0. I have yet to see a
> Firewire<->802.11g adapter.

Why not just plug the WAP into the ethernet port? It works fine that way
with my original Airport Base Station, though I'm streaming to another
Mac, not an Airport Express.

> I'm pretty sure that the Airport Express plugin for iTunes only supports
> Apple's official 'Airport' solutions on the Mac. It _might_ work with a USB
> or PC-Card solution, but I wouldn't bet on it - shop for a liberal return
> policy as well as a good price :)

That I didn't know, if true. The Airport Express site gives one the
opposite impression:

" Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort or AirPort Extreme
enabled computer or Wi-Fi-certified 802.11b or 802.11g computer."

I'd think they would need to go out of their way to make it work only with
Apple wireless devices.

> I am disappointed that the iTunes plugin _requires_ wireless access to send
> the music signal. If anyone knows of a workaround for this, I'd love to hear
> it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, here. Streaming to
wiredly connected computer is easy.