[CUBE] Fill my house with good music...

Chris Weiss cweiss at casadelove.com
Sun Aug 8 11:59:51 PDT 2004

atoa at krak.net wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Chris Weiss wrote:
>
>> atoa at krak.net wrote:

>>> You don't even need that. You do need _some_ wireless transmitter
>>> connected to the computer that you are streaming from, but it
>>> doesn't need to be internal. You'll get better throughput with a
>>> third-party 11g unit,
>>> and probably better range, as well. And for less money, if you shop
>>> wisely.
>>>
>> Two caveats there:
>> With the Cube, you're pretty much stuck. All of the 802.11g USB
>> adapters I've seen require USB 2.0. The Cube only has USB 1.0. I have
>> yet to see a Firewire<->802.11g adapter.
>

> Why not just plug the WAP into the ethernet port? It works fine that
> way with my original Airport Base Station, though I'm streaming to
> another Mac, not an Airport Express.

When you say streaming to another Mac, do you mean you're sharing your
iTunes library, or something else?

>> I'm pretty sure that the Airport Express plugin for iTunes only
>> supports Apple's official 'Airport' solutions on the Mac. It _might_
>> work with a USB or PC-Card solution, but I wouldn't bet on it - shop
>> for a liberal return policy as well as a good price :)
>>
> That I didn't know, if true. The Airport Express site gives one the
> opposite impression:
>
> " Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort or AirPort
> Extreme enabled computer or Wi-Fi-certified 802.11b or 802.11g computer."
>
> I'd think they would need to go out of their way to make it work only
> with Apple wireless devices.

This _IS_ Apple we're talking about :) I'd be very curious to see if
people can get the plugin to work with non-internal airport hardware.
That'd be great news.

>> I am disappointed that the iTunes plugin _requires_ wireless access
>> to send the music signal. If anyone knows of a workaround for this,
>> I'd love to hear it.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, here. Streaming
> to wiredly connected computer is easy.

My goal (like Mark, who started this whole thread) is to be able to play
my iTunes library on my stereo systems in other parts of the house.
Preferrably without having to hook up a computer next to the stereo
system to do it. I already have Cat5 next to the stereo locations, so
wireless is not a requirement, just a nice benefit. The Airport Express
seemed like the perfect solution - very small, understands the iTunes
format, supports digital out in case the onboard D/A converter is
complete crap, is a wireless access point on the side, and does WDS
(using multiple units to increase wifi coverage). Alas, my wifi
reception is good enough for surfing and email, just not quite good
enough for streaming (this is from an 802.11b Cube, not 802.11g), so the
option to use wires to get around the bandwidth issues would have been
really nice.

Of course, I'm just guessing it's a bandwidth issues - Some things I'm
trying are getting the results I expected.