[Cube] which internal HD to upgrade Cube?

deschwab at descom-usa.com deschwab at descom-usa.com
Wed Dec 15 15:26:15 PST 2004

Wow, if I'd read this earlier I maybe wouldn't have bought two 200 GB Seagates for use in a hard drive music library project.

Maybe the 120 GB Seagates are the magic size; sounds like other sizes fail regularly.

Western Digital Caviar in various sizes have long been my favorites, and have served well.  I have a 3-1/2 year old 60 GB one in my Cube, and it realized the Cube-silence I never found with the slightly older OEM Maxtor 20 GB.  My first WDC Caviar, all of 4 GB, died this summer after 7 solid years of service, in six different PCs.  (2 GB Seagates of similar vintage died much earlier.)

I've had no short term problems with 40 GB or 80 GB or 120 GB WDC Caviar drives in other applications, although these are all under 2 years old.  (But then I haven't had a lick of trouble with two SATA 120 GB Samsung hard drives, either -- and they also are quiet.)

Maxtors to me have always meant noise, trouble, early death.  My IBM HDD experience is limited, limited mostly to ones on the verge of death from which friends expected me to retrieve files as the hard drive made ominous sounds.

Good luck in making the choice.

Don