[Cube] which internal HD to upgrade Cube?

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Dec 15 23:40:12 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Luis Meleiro wrote:

> Allan (and all),
>
> I really can't recall where I've read it, but I remember someone stated
> that formating/partitioning a larger (than 128 GB) hard disk using
> another Macintosh System, a G4 tower for example, doing several
> partitions smaller than 128 Gb was a workaround for having bigger disk
> space recognised by the Cube IDE. Don't know if this accurate though,
> I've never tried it myself.
>
> Anyone, please!?
>
> LM

I have read this too, and heard of the utilities that do it as well. I
think it is playing with fire, and would not trust any data beyond that
first 128 GB in the hardware solution (formatting on another mac capable
of seeing the larger drive), and would trust no data if I was using a
software solution. The software voodoo used to get around the hardware
limitation scares me (but hey, I am a hardware guy for a living, so maybe
it works), and I really would stay far away from it. I have accepted that
120 GB is my cube's natural limit, unless I get an external FW drive (and
most modern cases should be able to handle 400 GB drives!)

IMHO, don't force a big (=HOT) drive in the cube, accept it's limits and
get a nice external for extra storage. Heck get two while you are at it,
and use one to back up all of that data!

Allan