[Cube] Pre-purchase questions...

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Wed Dec 22 14:44:06 PST 2004

I have one of the very first Cubes made, originally ordered for use in the office.  It is still running strong.  Added more memory.  That's all.

I liked it so much that I ordered another one for my home use.  That one was nothing but trouble.  Luckily, I had Apple Care.  It went back to Apple at least three times.  It got at least two re-build logic boards and a few reconditioned hard disks.  But, it kept going bad.  Finally, Apple threw up their hands and said that they could no longer fix it, and they gave me a new 2002 Quicksilver, which is now my machine.  My wife still uses the original Cube (which came home from the office when I retired).

Go figure!

I probably would not buy a used Cube unless I could get an ironclad guarantee, or unless I could buy Apple Care with it, or unless I knew personally and trusted the previous owner.  Don't get me wrong; I loved my Cube, and I hated to see it go.  And, my wife, who had been a UNIX and WinNT/200 user in her office and used a spare WinNT machine at home until it died on us, now loves the Cube that she uses (mainly because it is totally silent and small and can be tucked away out of sight and hearing).  I guess that her next machine will be in the iMac G5 (or successor) category).

--Steve